Medical or compassionate withdrawal

Please read all the information below thoroughly. To ensure a timely review, it is imperative to follow and complete each step.

About medical or compassionate withdrawal

The medical and compassionate withdrawal process is focused on the student’s academic record as it relates to the student’s health and wellness. Tuition refunds are not guaranteed, even with approval.

A medical/compassionate withdrawal request may be made in extraordinary cases in which serious illness or injury (medical) or another significant personal situation (compassionate) prevents a student from continuing his or her classes. It must also be the case that the ability to request an incomplete or other arrangements with the instructors are not possible.

If you experienced other challenges during the semester, such as difficulty with classes, time management, work or family responsibilities, or other co-curricular commitments, be aware that these are not considered extenuating circumstances. In these cases, consult your academic advisor and utilize ASU resources to ensure that you receive the guidance and assistance necessary to remain on track to graduate.

Medical and compassionate withdrawal requests are reserved for extraordinary and emergency circumstances that prevent a student from completing their classes. All requests require specific and relevant professional documentation for consideration, and approval is not guaranteed. The decision is based on the specific circumstances and the professional documentation provided. Approval is made on a case-by-case basis and is made at the discretion of the college. The decision of the college is final.

View the ASU policy on Medical/Compassionate Withdrawals.

Carefully follow these steps

Prior to starting the process

If you are receiving financial assistance, you are strongly encouraged to consult with a student financial assistance counselor to identify and understand the financial assistance/monetary implications of processing a withdrawal transaction.

If you are experiencing continued health issues or other challenges, it may be in your best interest to consult with your academic advisor to explore all options.

Submit all required information

  1. Download and save a copy of your unofficial transcript.
  2. If you are requesting a compassionate withdrawal, have your documentation ready to download prior to starting your request.
  3. Complete the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering Medical/Compassionate Withdrawal Request Form.
  4. Submit required documentation (see below).

Medical documentation should be submitted directly from the student’s healthcare provider.

Contact and submission information

Fax: 480-965-8095
Email: [email protected]

All requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Submitted request will be reviewed

A committee of staff will determine whether a medical/compassionate withdrawal will be approved.

The committee reviews the appropriateness of the medical/compassionate withdrawal request and based upon the documentation provided either approves or denies the request.

You will be notified of the decision by email. An approved decision will be communicated to the Registrar’s Office for final processing and posting of result on students’ unofficial transcript. The medical/compassionate withdrawal designee for the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering is Sergio Quiros.

If approved, you may be subject to registration restrictions, such as an administrative hold, when you return to school. See below for information on how to remove a hold.

Requesting removal of an administrative hold

If you are successful in receiving a medical or compassionate withdrawal, an administrative hold may be applied that will prevent you from registering for future classes.

When you are ready to return to school, you will need to submit an official letter from your healthcare provider stating that you are ready to return to school during the specified term.

This letter must be provided on the healthcare provider’s letterhead and must be faxed or mailed directly to our office or delivered in a sealed envelope from the medical/healthcare/service provider.

Fax: 480-965-8095
Email: [email protected]

Do any of these situations apply to you?


Have you completed your degree?

If you have completed your degree and ASU has granted it (you graduated), you may not receive medical or compassionate withdrawal for semesters completed while your degree was active.

Medical or compassionate withdrawal requests are only processed for partial or complete semesters taken while working toward a degree which has not yet been granted (you have not graduated).

Do you have an academic integrity sanction?

If you have been assigned a final grade of E or XE due to an academic integrity violation sanction, your medical or compassionate withdrawal will not be processed.

Are you a military or veteran student?

If you are currently serving in the U.S. Military, or are a Veteran, and you are receiving G.I. Bill Funding, please contact the Pat Tillman Veterans Center to discuss possible financial ramifications of an approved withdrawal, prior to submitting your application.

Are you an international student?

If you are an international student with an F1/J1 visa, you must consult with the International Students and Scholars Center to discuss the serious immigration consequences that may result from your withdrawal from ASU. As an international with an F-1/J-1 visa, you must provide medical documentation from a U.S. licensed medical doctor, doctor of osteopathy or licensed clinical psychologist.

Be aware: Two year limit for tuition adjustments

Please review the University’s Medical/Compassionate Withdrawal webpage for the most relevant information regarding partial tuition adjustments or non-refundable credits.