Undergraduate Standards Petition Form

What is an undergraduate standards petition?

All students enrolled in a baccalaureate degree program must fulfill the following university requirements to graduate. An undergraduate standards petition form is required when a Fulton Schools undergraduate student wishes to request an exemption to a university’s undergraduate graduation requirement.

For example, if an undergraduate student wishes to do any of the following actions, then an undergraduate standards petition would be required:

  • Take more than 19 credits in the spring or fall semester
  • Take a graduate-level class for undergraduate credit
  • Enroll in a course for the third time

These are only the most common situations. Other actions require the submission of an undergraduate standards petition. Contact your advisor with any questions.

What is the submission process?

  1. Identify the documents which must be included in your packet (see below).
  2. Collect and prepare the documents. All materials must be typed.
  3. Make an appointment with your advisor to submit the complete packet and to discuss the petition and rationale.
  4. The complete packet is reviewed by the advisor, program chair, and Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering Dean’s Office.
  5. You will be informed of the outcome via email.

Undergraduate Standards Petition Form packet requirements

Please remember all materials must be typed, not handwritten.

Enroll in more than 19 hours during Fall or Spring semester

Submit a packet containing the following items:

For Summer term, refer to the ASU Registrar’s information about summer load limit.

Enroll in a graduate-level course for undergraduate level credit

Submit a packet containing the following items:

Honors students exception

If an honors student has a 3.0 GPA and is within one year of graduation, they must submit a note from the instructor but are not required to submit a complete packet.

Enroll in a course for the third time

Submit a packet containing the following items:

Other situations

These are only a few of the situations which require an undergraduate standards petition form.

If your situation is not included in this list, contact your advisor and plan to submit at least the following: