A student poses in front of his project poster.

MORE Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Example hero paragraph text.


I’m an international student. Can I apply for MORE?

Yes! MORE students are hired by ASU and paid at the end of the semester. All funded MORE students who are not U.S. citizens and are working for ASU on a visa status must register in the Glacier system and get a Social Security card. Questions can be directed to ASU’s Human Resources office at 855-278-5081.

I have an RA or TA position. Am I eligible for MORE?

MORE is designed to provide research experiences for graduate students who do not have other research opportunities. Therefore, students who have a research assistant (RA) appointment are not eligible for MORE.

A graduate teaching assistant (TA) cannot have an appointment that exceeds 0.50 full-time equivalent FTE (20 hours per week) in the fall and spring semesters. MORE is considered 0.125 FTE (5 hours per week) for the fall or spring semesters. Therefore, students in 0.50 FTE (20 hours per week) TA positions are NOT eligible for MORE. If you hold a graduate TA position at 0.25-0.49 FTE (10 to 19 hours per week) then you are eligible to participant in MORE, as long as it does not exceed a combined total of 0.50 FTE with your other position.

I recently transferred to ASU. May I apply for MORE?

Yes! During your first semester here at ASU, you can apply for MORE for the next semester.


Can the mentor be outside the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering? Can my mentor be a graduate student?

No. Mentors must be a faculty member with appointment in the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering.

Do I need to work with a teaching faculty member?

No. Faculty can be either teaching courses and/or conducting research.

Can the mentor be in a different program than me?

Yes, your mentor can be affiliated with a different school in the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering. For example, a mechanical engineering student can work with a biomedical engineering faculty mentor.  A Tempe campus student can also work with a Polytechnic campus faculty mentor and vice versa

Proposal submissions

Can students submit a team proposal?

There are no provisions to fund teams of students. However, it is possible that several students could submit individual applications and then work together on the research.

Can I get funding to do a project associated with a student organization?

No, the program is designed to fund individual students being mentored on a one-to-one basis.

If I complete the proposal and submit all the paperwork, what are the chances that I will be selected?

The program is competitive. The best proposals will be selected. The chance of getting funded is dependent on the quality of your proposal, available funding and number of proposals received.

Funding and finance

Is there funding for supplies or materials?

Students can request the school purchase the research supplies. Estimated expenses should be detailed in your proposal.

As a MORE student, when would I receive my researcher stipend?

You would receive your MORE stipend after you have met all of the requirements for the program, which would be at the end of the semester which you are funded.

Miscellaneous questions

When does MORE begin?

The MORE semesters are based on the Academic Calendar. Please refer there for estimated start dates for fall and spring semesters.

Can I get academic credit for the research?

The MORE program does not award credit. However, you may speak to your academic advisor regarding credit options.

Who owns the intellectual property of MORE projects?

Any intellectual property you develop through your participation in the MORE program is owned by the Arizona Board of Regents for and on behalf of Arizona State University, pursuant to the Arizona Board of Regents intellectual property policy 6-908 (the “IP Policy”). Pursuant to the IP Policy, you are required to disclose and assign, and do hereby assign, intellectual property created through your participation in the MORE program to the Arizona Board of Regents for and on behalf of Arizona State University. For information about IP and invention disclosures, contact Arizona Technology Enterprises.